|Our sunset view wasn't so bad after all!|
While some folks spending time cruising Fiji may not think much of Lautoka - we found it to be our favorite "big city" on Viti Levu. It may be true that the anchorage is not as picturesque as many of the other beautiful places in this country - especially since you usually end up anchored right next to the busy port - but the city itself has a LOT to offer.
|Super fresh yummy eggs from the market.|
- A multitude of well supplied grocery stores to choose from
- Some of the best banana bread we've ever tasted
- Awesome $5 haircuts that didn't make us want to wear a hat
- Super nice locals (though that's pretty true everywhere in Fiji)
- The 2nd largest (and on Saturdays the absolute BEST) fresh market in all of Fiji
|The fish market had lots of options...|
|Puffer fish anyone?|
|Look at those gorgeous stacks of tomatoes for $1 US!|
- Always a cab ready (for cheap!) right when you need it most
- A really cool sports stadium where we watched Fiji beat the pants off of the Cook Islanders in rugby
- Amazing views of the burning sugar cane on the hillsides at night (though I could do without the coating of ash all over the boat)
|The glow of sugar cane fires - the whole|
hillside seemed on fire at times!
- Everything seemed about 5-10% cheaper than in Nadi
- And the only place we were able to learn all about the local sugar cane industry!
|One of the 100's of daily sugar cane |
trucks lined up to be processed.
Overall, we liked Lautoka because it pretty much provided one stop shopping with a significantly better "vibe" then the nearby Nadi. If you are cruising Fiji and need some time in the city to resupply, we highly recommend giving Lautoka a chance. We can guarantee that the more time you spend poking around there, the more you'll like it!